Air pollution has become a major point of worry for those living in Delhi or other metropolitan cities across India. After Diwali, the air quality index reached to around 400 value. Installing an Air purifier in home/office is the best solution to counter air pollution.
Are Air Purifiers Beneficial?
An average adult inhales and exhales around 11,000 liters of air per day. Air pollution causes disastrous effects causing Respiratory and heart problems. Buying an air purifier is a great option as indoor air quality is up to 10 times worse than outdoor air quality because closed spaces enhances the building up of potential pollutants as compared to the open spaces. Air purifiers remove airborne harmful particles like pollens, dust, allergens, bacteria, smoke from burning or cooking and improves the air quality. Air pollutants are mostly of PM10, PM2.5, and smaller particles. PM10 particles are removed by pre-filter whereas PM2.5 and other small particles are removed by HEPA filter. Other filters included in air purifiers are as UV filter, antibacterial filter wherein the fan sucks in pollutants and circulates the fresh and clean air. Also, the activated carbon filter in the purifier helps to remove odours.
Things you should know before buying an Air Purifier :
- CADR or (Clean Air Delivery Rate) – CADR refers to the speed at which the air comes out of the filter. It’s value (in cubic meters) is determined depending how effectively it is at cleaning the air (Dust, Smoke, and Pollen) in the room since the filter has to suck up all the air in the room and push it out. The higher the CADR number, the more air it filters per minute for that particle size range.
- Coverage Area – This is referred to as the distance which the Air Purifier can cover. Before selecting an air purifier, its very important to know your room size and accordingly pick the right model. Its always advisable to keep it in the central location, free of any obstruction.
- ACH (Air Changes per Hour) – This means the number of times the purifier can exchange impure air with fresh air in an hour. Higher the number, the more efficient the machine is at purifying the air inside a room. It is usually denoted in multiples, viz. 2x, 3x, 4x, 6x, etc.
- HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) Filter – This is the most important filter, as it removes minutely sized (0.3 µm) airborne pollutants or more which cannot be seen even by human. The HEPA filters are classified from grades E to A and can screen dust, pollen, mold spores, mite faeces, and other allergens.
- Carbon Filters – Activated carbon molecules bond with the pollutants to trap cigarette smoke, chemical fumes, gases, and odors.
- Noise Level – Lower dB (Decibel) value, better will be the purifie
- Portability and Design – Choose the one that goes with your home décor and is portable so that it can be moved across rooms, if required.
- Power Consumption & price : While taking the buying decision, opt for the model that consumes less power and is not that expensive. Also, do consider its running and maintenance cost as you would require to change the filters every 4-12 months.
Choose the best air purifier
Air purifiers are available at different range, prices and features. It is an expensive investment but is worth the money spent as will filter the allergies, pollens etc and release fresh air into the room.
A good air purifier should have following features :
- A good quality Hepa filter
- An activated carbon filter ( when heavy gaseous pollutants are present).
- Enough air volume which can change the air around 5 times every hour in your room size.
Best Air Purifiers for Home To Buy In India in 2019
Let’s break down their features, bells, and whistles one by one. Please note these are enlisted in no particular order. So, you can grab the one that fits your bill.
1. Mi Air Purifier 2C
The latest addition to Mi Smart Home series of products is Mi Air Purifier 2C which has been exclusively designed for Indian market. It comes with 360-degree air intake coupled with a dual filtration mechanism. Its true HEPA filter claims to eliminate the 99.97% of indoor pollution. It has a one-button control to DIY the filter swapping process and a tiny indicator to depict the air quality level. Mi has comeup with another latest model Mi Air Purifier 2S which differentiates from purifier 2C model as it has its OLED display panel that exhibits real-time PM2.5 concentration, temperature and humidity, Wi-Fi connection and working mode.
2. Honeywell AirTouch A5
Honeywell is a US-based Fortune 100 company renowned for its engineering aerospace equipment and high-quality air purifiers. They come with clean air delivery rate of 250 cubic metres (m3/h) per hour which ensures easy purification of air even in bigger rooms. Its Air Touch A5 model has 3-stage filtration which includes a washable pre-filter, HEPA and carbon filter which captures the gaseous pollutants. It is claimed to be completely Ozone-free by the company and removes formaldehyde, toxic gases, VOCs & odor. The only drawback is the lack of inbuilt numeric AQI meter.
3. Philips 1000 AC1215-20
Philips has a wide range of healthy lifestyle products. Its latest Air Purifier model comes with VitaShield IPS (Intelligent Purification System) Technology with its aerodynamic design and NanoProtect Pro Filter which boosts clean air delivery rate up to 270 m3/hr. The additional features included are Auto Mode, Allergen Mode & NightSense (automatic light sensing) mode which can cleanse 99.97% allergens & ultra-fine particles. It has a touch-panel UI with a 2-color panel display that is equipped with child lock features and 4-color air quality indicators for real-time experience. Its other variants- Philips 2000 AC0820/20 and Philips AC2887/20 work on AeraSense technology which gives real-time monitored data on the PM 2.5 measurement.
4. Sharp FP-J40M-W
This air purifier from Sharp is equipped with Plasmacluster technology with true HEPA and Active Carbon filters that emits the charged ions into the air. These ions neutralize H1N1, microbes, bacteria like E. Coli, MRSA, TB and fungal spores by attaching to them and removes the contaminants more effectively as compare to simple filtration methods. They also come with Odor, Dust & Light Sensor and triple filter setup including a deodorising filter and a HEPA filter. They are best suited for coverage areas upto 350-400 sqft.
5. Blueair Classic 280i
This highly efficient air purifier is Wi-Fi enabled and comes with integrated air quality sensors. It is incorporated with Blueair HEPASilent Technology which removes all airborne pollutants owing to its effective electrostatic and mechanical filtration which combines advanced filter media and an encapsulated particle-charging chamber to ensure improved and superior results as compared to other models.
6. Dyson Pure Cool Link Tower
Dyson is the most trusted and renowned air purifier brand available in the market. It sports an impressive design and is very effective as it can take air from all 360-degree angles resulting in quick filtration of lot of air. Apart from purifying the air, it can also heat or cool your home. It comes with sensors that can automatically detect airborne particles and gases and you can get real-time air quality reports with Dyson Link app. It also allows you to remotely control your machine from your smartphone. It is one of the best investment that we can make to save ourselves from unhealthy toxins present in the air.