- Android 7.0 (Nougat) Operating System
- 720 x 1280 Pixels, 16:9 Ratio (~236 ppi Density) Display Resolution
- 13 mp, F/2.2, Phase Detection Autofocus, LED Flash primary camera
- 16 mp, F/2.0, 1080p secondary camera
- 64 GB, 4 GB RAM or 32 GB, 3 GB RAM
- Up to 32 h (3G) Talk Time
- 153 g (5.40 oz) Weight
- View All Specs
MIY1 Mobile Price, Specification & Reviews
- PreferredAMAZONRedmi Y1 (Rose Gold, 32GB)₹8,999 ₹9999As on 3:32:54am 24-09-2018In Stockby Mi
- PreferredAMAZONRedmi Y1 (Grey, 32GB)₹8,999 ₹9999As on 4:08:59am 26-09-2018In Stockby Mi
- PAYTMMALLRedmi Y1 32 GB (Grey)₹9,399 ₹9999As on 4:29:57pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredTATACLIQXiaomi Redmi Y1 32 GB (Grey) 3 GB RAM, Dual SIM 4G₹9,748 ₹9999In StockAs on 8:04:31pm 26-09-2018Axis Bank Offer (Every Wednesday)
- PreferredTATACLIQXiaomi Redmi Y1 32 GB (Gold) 3 GB RAM, Dual SIM 4G₹9,750 ₹9999In StockAs on 5:12:44pm 25-09-2018Axis Bank Offer (Every Wednesday)
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y1 (Grey, 32 GB) (3 GB RAM)₹9,997As on 7:28:11pm 26-09-2018Out of Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y1 (Rose Gold, 32 GB) (3 GB RAM)₹9,999As on 7:48:10pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y1 (Gold, 32 GB) (3 GB RAM)₹9,999As on 7:48:10pm 26-09-2018Out of Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y1 (Grey, 64 GB) (4 GB RAM)₹11,975As on 3:32:52pm 26-09-2018Out of Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y1 (Gold, 64 GB) (4 GB RAM)₹11,999As on 4:19:52pm 26-09-2018Out of StockNo cost EMI available
- PreferredAMAZONRedmi Y1 (Gold, 64GB)₹11,999As on 4:10:45pm 22-09-2018In Stockby Mi
- PreferredAMAZONRedmi Y1 (Gold, 32GB)₹0As on 6:29:44am 26-09-2018In Stockby Mi
Products like Redmi Y1
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi Y1 Soft Silicon High Quality Ultra-thin Transparent Back Cover (TPU).₹147 ₹999As on 3:32:56pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi Y1 Soft Silicon High Quality Ultra-thin Transparent Back Cover (TPU).₹149 ₹299As on 3:32:56pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi Y1 glass guard BT Nano Technology German Schott Tempered Glass Screen Protector Guard₹195 ₹999As on 3:32:56pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- ALIEXPRESSXiaomi Redmi Note 5 A Prime Redmi Y1 case Universal Soft TPU Hand Lanyard Cover For Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A Redmi Y 1 Lite case₹217 ₹290As on 3:31:53pm 26-09-2018In Stock0 Orders
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi y1 kickstand Back case Cover₹220 ₹499As on 3:32:56pm 26-09-2018In StockFree shipping
- ALIEXPRESSXiaomi Redmi Y1 Lite case Rotate Ring Phone cover for Xiaomi Redmi Y 1 lite Case Universal Soft TPU Xiaomi redmi y1 case₹235 ₹290As on 3:31:53pm 26-09-2018In Stock0 Orders
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi y1 kickstand Back case Cover₹249 ₹999As on 3:32:56pm 26-09-2018In StockFree shipping
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi Y1 Anti-Knock Design Shock Absorbent Bumper Soft Silicone Transparent Back Cover.₹249 ₹599As on 3:32:56pm 26-09-2018In StockFree shipping
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi y1 Mercury Flip Cover blue green BY NK₹255 ₹399As on 5:32:11pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredAMAZONREDMI Y1 Tempered Glass ACE GORILLA PRO+ Anti Explosion, 9H Hardness, Ultra Clear, Anti-Scratch Bubble Free, Anti-Fingerprint Tempered Glass for XIAOMI REDMI Y1₹399 ₹999As on 3:01:27pm 25-09-2018In Stockby Ace Gorilla
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi Y1 Blue Colour 360 Degree Full Body Protection Front Back Case Cover Standard Quality₹499 ₹999As on 3:32:56pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- ALIEXPRESSXiaomi Redmi Note 5A Prime case cover 5.5" Nillkin frosted shield cover plastic case for xiaomi redmi note 5a prime / Redmi Y1₹577 ₹608As on 3:46:34pm 22-09-2018In Stock0 Orders
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y1 lite (Gold, 16 GB) (2 GB RAM)₹7,499As on 3:32:52pm 26-09-2018Out of Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTMi A1 (Black, 64 GB) (4 GB RAM)₹14,399As on 7:48:10pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- SNAPDEALMI A1 (64GB, 4GB)₹14,600 ₹15999As on 8:10:00pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTMi A1 (Gold, 64 GB) (4 GB RAM)₹15,188As on 7:48:10pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- SNAPDEALRedmi A1 (64GB, 4GB RAM)₹15,400 ₹15999As on 8:10:00pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTMi A1 (Rose Gold, 64 GB) (4 GB RAM)₹15,945As on 7:28:11pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- SNAPDEALRedmi Gold MI A1 64GB₹15,490 ₹15999As on 8:10:00pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PAYTMMALLrobmob Redmi Y1 Tempered₹125 ₹525As on 3:32:53pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi A1 Android One Leather Flip Cover Brown₹320 ₹999As on 1:02:17pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi A1 Android One Kickstand Case cover₹220 ₹499As on 4:16:34pm 24-09-2018In StockFree shipping
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y2 (Gold, 32 GB) (3 GB RAM)₹9,999As on 4:18:41pm 26-09-2018Out of Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y2 (Dark Grey, 32 GB) (3 GB RAM)₹11,499As on 4:18:41pm 26-09-2018Out of Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y2 (Rose Gold, 32 GB) (3 GB RAM)₹11,500As on 4:18:41pm 26-09-2018Out of Stock
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi Y2 (Grey/Dark Grey, 64 GB) (4 GB RAM)₹12,790 ₹18999As on 8:17:11pm 22-09-2018In StockFree shipping
- PreferredSHOPCLUESRedmi Y2 (Gold, 64 GB) (4 GB RAM)₹12,799 ₹17999As on 7:25:35pm 26-09-2018In StockFree shipping
- PreferredAMAZONRedmi Y2 (Gold, 64GB)₹12,999 ₹13499As on 3:56:18pm 26-09-2018In Stockby Mi
- PreferredAMAZONRedmi Y2 (Dark Grey, 64GB)₹12,999 ₹13499As on 4:15:47pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y2 (Gold, 64 GB) (4 GB RAM)₹13,284As on 4:35:48pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y2 (Grey/Dark Grey, 64 GB) (4 GB RAM)₹13,320As on 4:35:48pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi Y2 (Rose Gold, 64 GB) (4 GB RAM)₹13,449As on 4:18:41pm 26-09-2018Out of Stock
- SNAPDEALRedmi Y2 (64GB, 4GB RAM)₹13,499 ₹15999As on 6:45:59pm 26-09-2018In Stock
- PreferredFLIPKARTRedmi 1S (Metal Gray, 8 GB) (1 GB RAM)₹5,999As on 4:21:22pm 26-09-2018Out of StockNo cost EMI available
- ALIEXPRESSXiaomi redmi note 5A case armor cover Anti-knock silicone case for xiaomi redmi note 5A / redmi Y1 Lite (2GB+16GB)₹145As on 3:32:53pm 26-09-2018In Stock4 Orders
- The price of Redmi Y1 ranges from lowest price ₹ 8999 to highest price ₹ 11999.
- Redmi Y1 is available at a best price of ₹ 8999 from Amazon.
- The latest price of Redmi Y1 was fetched by us on 8:10:00pm 26-09-2018.
- Price of the Redmi Y1 above is in INR/Indian Rupees.
- The prices for mobiles like Redmi Y1 are valid in all major cities of India like Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Pune, Ahmedabad, Coimbatore, Lucknow, Trichy, Madurai, Trivandrum, Mysore, Jaipur, Chandigarh, Pondicherry, Bhopal, Patna, Bhubaneswar, Amritsar, Cochin, Allahabad, Srinagar, New Delhi, Surat, Ludhiana, Navi Mumbai, Ghaziabad, Bengaluru, Indore, Nagpur, Thane, Agra, Meerut, Ranchi. The delivery feasibility and charges may be varying, hence for them please check with the particular seller or store.
- Although we make a lot of effort to get you the best and the most accurate prices, we cannot guarantee this in every case due to the dynamic nature of online information. Hence you are requested to go through the actual store listings in detail before making a purchase.
- The payment options available can vary from seller to seller, but a generally they are Cash on Delivery(COD), Credit Card, Debit Card, NetBanking, EMI(Equated monthly Installments) etc.
MiY1 : Affordable Selfie Camera phone
About Xiaomi brand
The Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi ws founded in 2010 as a software company providing MIUI, a customised Android version. MIUI became very popular in short span of time due to lot of useful features present in it which were lacking in stock version of Android. They launched their first smartphone in the year 2011 with MIUI skin customised out-of-the-box. Apart from manufacturing smartphones, they are also the consumers with Andoid-based OS, fitness trackers, smart wearables, TVs, air purifiers, tablets and other consumer electronics. Xiaomi’s MIUI is faster and is the most customizable ROM available till date. It comes with hundreds of themes to customise the UI look and pre-installed powerful default security app on Xiaomi phones enable the user to control/configure the permissions of individual apps. Moreover, the user can tweak each part of the software individually like Lock screen, Notification shade and Boot screen. The software is also regularly updated with new features, improvements and bug fixes.
Why is Mi brand preferred by most consumers?
The company manufactures high quality products equipped with latest features and cutting edge technology. In 5-6 years of time frame, it has become a global brand by expanding its presence in more than 30 countries all over the world. They keep their devices to be cost-effective and their aggressive pricing is one of the prime reason for their phenomenal growth without compromising on the specifications of its smartphones. They are able to maintain the low cost since they do not have offline stores and primarily sell its phones via flash sales on the online stores in India. Also keeping their marketing cost to be bare minimum by not advertising, they promote through social media or word of mouth. They are selling their devices with similar configuration at half the prices as compared to other peer brands like Samsung, Nokia, Apple, OnePlus, LG etc. Xiaomi has categorised its range of smartphones in three different series- MI series, Redmi Series and Redmi Note series. The flagship MI series comprises of feature-rich but slightly expensive mobiles range while Redmi series are the budget friendly and most affordable range. The Redmi Note series are the bigger screen devices priced in between MI and Redmi series.
MIY1 Price & Features
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 is the latest addition to the company’s recently launched Redmi Y series. The device is specifically designed for all selfie enthusiasts as it boasts of an enhanced 16MP front camera lens with LED selfie flash. It is available in Gold and Dark grey color options. It comes in two variants - (3GB RAM+32GB) storage which is priced at Rs 8,999 and (4GB RAM+64GB) storage priced at Rs 11,999. The other variant of this smartphone is Redmi Y1 Lite.
Key Features of MiY1 :
- This dual SIM (nano+nano) device features a 5.5-inch (13.97cm) display with 1280 x 720 pixels resolution and 267 ppi pixel density.
- It boots on an Android v7.1.2 Nougat operating system with 1.4GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 octa core processor coupled with 3GB RAM and 32GB ROM (expandable upto 128GB)
- It sports a 13MP rear camera with 5 element lens, f/2.0 aperture and 16MP front snapper with selfie flash.
- It is punched by a 3080mAH Li-Polymer battery.
- Connectivity options include 4G, GPS, microUSB 2.0 port, IR blaster, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth 4.0.
- Sensors supported include Fingerprint sensor, Accelerometer, Proximity, light, magnetic, gyro, step and hall.
Design and Display
The device sports a full metallic body with curved edges providing it a premium flagship-like look. It is slim and compact with dimensions 153 x 76.20 x 7.70 mm. It weighs 153 gms and it can be easily carried away single-handedly. Its large 5.5-inch (13.9cm) HD IPS display is best suited for media usage like watching your favourite shows or videos. The display screen comes with 1280 x 720 pixels resolution and 267 ppi pixel density and is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass against any scratches or accidental damages. The power button and volume control are placed on the right side whereas fingerprint scanner is embedded at the back of the device below the rear camera module whch can record upto 5 fingerprints to unlock the smartphone. Its mid-frame made up of aluminium alloy enables better heat dissipation. The USB port and the speakers are placed at the bottom and a 3.5mm headphone jack is present on the top edge. Overall, it is an impressive looking device with good ergonomics.
Processor & Storage
The phone is powered by an octa-core Snapdragon 435 chipset coupled with 3GB of RAM to deliver amazingly smooth and lag-free multitasking and seamless performance. It comes with 32GB of expandable onboard storage memory upto 128GB via a dedicated microSD card slot. Ample RAM combined with Adreno 505 GPU ensures that the user can easily play visually intensive and high end games like Asphalt 8, Modern Combat 5 and Real Racing 3 without any lags. It runs the proprietary MIUI 9 operating system wrapped under Android v7.1.2. The latest MIUI 9 comes with host of new features such as new APP Vault, an improvised Mi Video App, Mi Explorer, split screen mode which enables the users to use two apps at the same time and also brings the option of applying stickers, emojis in the gallery app. With this advanced interface, browsing becomes lot more smoother and faster.
The Redmi Y1 camera delivers decent quality of pictures. It comes with a 13MP rear camera with f/2.0 aperture and equipped with various modes like burst mode, face recognition, real time filters etc. The high resolution 16MP front facing camera captures sharper, brighter and more vibrant selfie portraits in all type of light conditions - in day as well as at night and also used for video calling. Moreover, there is a Beauty mode Beautify 3.0 which can make your face slimmer or smoothen your skin and various inbuilt filters can be used to enhance the selfie shots. It also adjusts the skin tone and highlights the eyes soas to accentuate the image quality. The selfie shooter with 36 smart beauty profiles offers incredible pictures and clicks perfect selfies even in low light environment. As far as videos are concerned, it can shoot FHD videos easily though there is no slow motion option but only time-lapse option.
Battery & Connectivity
The device is fuelled by a non removable 3080 mAH Li-ion battery which can offer the talktime upto 9-10 hours on medium usage and upto 10 days of standby time. With MIUI interface, it is optimized for longer battery life span. So watch your favourite videos, play games and read books for extended hours without worrying about its battery life. It offers up to 10 hours of video playback, 12 hours of gaming, and 21 hours of reading. The connectivity options on the device include 4G (with LTE Band 40 support), GPS, USB OTG, FM, 3G, microUSB 2.0 port, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Bluetooth v4.2. It comes with a dual SIM functionality and accepts Nano SIM in both its slots. The sensors on the phone include Compass/ Magnetometer, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer, Ambient Light sensor and Gyroscope. The fingerprint sensor embedded on the rear panel enhances the security of the device and all the important data stored in it and also result in ultra fast unlocking of the device.
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 Vs Redmi Y2 : Quick Comparison
The biggest difference between these two phones is their display size. Redmi Y1 features a 5.5-inch HD display whereas Redmi Y2 sports a bigger 5.99-inch HD+ notch display with 18:9 aspect ratio. The company has provided the upgraded and more reliable octa-core Snapdragon 625 processor in Redmi Y2 in comparison to a Snapdragon 435 chipset in MiY1. On the software front, both run MIUI 9 interface. Both of them feature a non removable 3080mAH battery which is sufficient enough to provide the uninterrupted working for a day on a single charge. The main highlight of these phones is their 16MP selfie camera with a slight difference that the camera on Redmi Y2 is assisted by Artificial Intelligence (AI) which automatically improves the quality of photos clicked. The new camera also comes with a software-assisted Portrait Mode which enables the user to click selfies with a blurred background. Redmi Y1 comes with 13MP rear camera while Redmi Y2 is packed with dual rear camera setup (12MP+5MP) with a dedicted Portrait mode. Both of them include the same set of connectivity options like dual SIM functionality, 4G VoLTE support, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. For extra security, both the phones are equipped with a fingerprint sensor. But the Redmi Y2 also comes with a Face Unlock feature for an extra level of protection. For 3GB RAM variant, MiY1 price is Rs 8999/- and Redmi Y2 price is Rs 9999/- and for 4GB variant, MiY1 price in india is Rs 11,999/- and Redmi Y2 is priced at Rs 12,999/-.
Xiaomi had initially launched Redmi Note 5A in India and called it Redmi Y1. It is a great selfie-centric phone at an affordable price with great camera, gaming, performance and battery life.
Product Description for Xiaomi Redmi Y1
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 runs the android 7.0 (nougat) Operating System. It has a octa-core 1.4 ghz cortex-a53 processor along with 4 gb,3 gb RAM. There is internal memory of 64 gb and this mobile supports microsd, up to 256 gb (dedicated slot) external memory. Sim card supported is dual sim (nano-sim, dual stand-by). The handset measures 153 x 76.2 x 7.7 mm (6.02 x 3.00 x 0.30 in) and weighs 153 g (5.40 oz).
The phone has a 5.5 inches, 106.7 cm2 (~91.6% screen-to-body ratio) ips lcd capacitive touchscreen, 16m colors display. Resolution of the screen is 720 x 1280 pixels, 16:9 ratio (~236 ppi density). Pixel Density of the display is 678ppi. Corning gorilla glass 3 provides protection to the display.
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 has two cameras, the rear camera is 13 mp, f/2.2, phase detection autofocus, led flash used for taking photos whereas the front camera is of 16 mp, f/2.0, 1080p useful in video calling and selfies. This mobile supports video recording.
Battery and Connectivity
It has a standby time of up to 240 h (3g) and a talk time of up to 32 h (3g). Connectivity features of the phone are 4g: lte band 1(2100), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300), gprs, edge, 3g: hsdpa 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100, bluetooth: 4.2, a2dp, le, gps: yes, with a-gps, glonass, bds.
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 also deserves a mention of the other details which are namely Sensors like fingerprint (rear-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass.
- For a quick reference, the key features of Xiaomi Redmi Y1 at one glance are :
- 153g, 7.7mm thickness
- Android 7.0
- Camera: 13MP,
- Battery: 3080mAh,
- 64GB storage, microSD card slot
- Memory: 4GB RAM,
- Display: 5.5",
About the brandRedmi is an established and very popular brand in the current Indian online market scenario. Products by the brand Redmi are available at stores like shopclues, snapdeal, flipkart, amazon, paytmmall, aliexpress, rediff. It sells various items under the categories mobiles.
Specifications for Redmi Y1
|Non-Removable li-ion 3080 mah Battery|
|Music Play||Up to 75 h|
|Stand-by||Up to 240 h (3G)|
|Talk Time||Up to 32 h (3G)|
|Dimensions||153 x 76.2 x 7.7 mm (6.02 x 3.00 x 0.30 in)|
|SIM||Dual SIM (Nano-SIM, Dual Stand-by)|
|Weight||153 g (5.40 oz)|
|Features||Geo-Tagging, Touch Focus, Face Detection, HDR, Panorama|
|Primary||13 mp, F/2.2, Phase Detection Autofocus, LED Flash|
|Secondary||16 mp, F/2.0, 1080p|
|Bluetooth||4.2, A2DP, le|
|GPS||Yes, with a-GPS, Glonass, bds|
|Wlan||Wi-fi 802.11 B/g/n, wi-fi Direct, Hotspot|
|Protection||Corning Gorilla Glass 3|
|Resolution||720 x 1280 Pixels, 16:9 Ratio (~236 ppi Density)|
|Size||5.5 Inches, 106.7 cm2 (~91.6% Screen-to-Body Ratio)|
|Type||IPS LCD Capacitive Touchscreen, 16m Colors|
|- Miui 9.0|
|Messaging||SMS(Threaded View), Mms, Email, Push Mail, im|
|Sensors||Fingerprint (Rear-Mounted), Accelerometer, Gyro, Proximity, Compass|
|XVID/MP4/h.264 Player; ; MP3/WAV/EAAC+/FLAC Player; ; Photo/video Editor; ; Document Viewer|
153g, 7.7mm Thickness
64GB Storage, microSD Card Slot
Memory: 4GB RAM,
|Card Slot||microSD, up to 256 GB (Dedicated Slot)|
|Internal||64 GB, 4 GB RAM or 32 GB, 3 GB RAM|
|Colors||Gold, Dark Grey, Silver, Rose Gold|
|Price||About 140 eur|
|Name||Xiaomi Redmi Y1|
|2G Bands||GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2|
|3G Bands||HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100|
|4G Bands||Lte Band 1(2100), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300)|
|Technology||GSM / Hspa / lte|
|Chipset||Qualcomm Msm8940 Snapdragon 435|
|Cpu||Octa-Core 1.4 GHz Cortex-a53|
|OS||Android 7.0 (Nougat)|
|Alert Types||Vibration; MP3, WAV Ringtones|
|- Active Noise Cancellation with Dedicated mic|
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 : Great Selfie SmartphoneAt this price point for the 3GB RAM and 32GB ROM devices, Redmi Y1 essentially competes with "Canvas Infinity" from Micromax (which costs Rs 10,999) and Redmi Note 4 (Rs 9,999) - a hugely-popular Xiaomi device. Sporting a 5.5-inch display, the Redmi Y1 is specially designed for selfie lovers of the country. It has a 16-megapixel camera at the front along with a diffused selfie flash and a 13-megapixel primary camera and the single-LED flash at the back of the phone. The phone is powered with Snapdragon 435 and an octa-core processor clocked at 1.4GHz. It comes in two variants - 3GB of RAM and 32GB of storage, and 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage. There is also an option to expand storage by up to 128GB using the dedicated microSD card slot. To power, a 3080mAh non-removable battery has been used in the device. Xiaomi is best known for offering feature-packed devices in entry-level price segment, and the newly launched Redmi Y1 just adds another feather to its cap. It is a smart device with good features, mainly focussed to attract selfie lovers.
The Chinese handset maker, Xiaomi have reached to the second position (after Samsung) in the Indian smartphone market in the last four years. Xiaomi's flagship devices- Redmi note 4, Redmi 4 and Redmi 4A have contributed to a great extent in the growth of the company in the Indian market because of their aggressive pricing and noteworthy hardware specifications. The company offers huge range of mobile phones in all types of categories ranging from budget, mid-range to high-end models to the prospective smartphone buyers. The company has now expanded its budget line-up series with the selfie focussed "Redmi Y" series (Y significantly stands for "You"). Xiaomi's new Redmi Y1 and Redmi Y1 Lite are selfie-centric devices having impressive front facing camera and a decent set of hardware specifications. Redmi Y1 is the rebranded model of Redmi Note 5A Prime with same hardware. Xiaomi Redmi Y1 is a mid-range device and has specifications and a price similar to that of Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 like 5.5-inch touchscreen HD display with 720p resolution, octa-core Snapdragon 435 processor paired with multiple RAM options- 3GB/4GB RAM, 13MP rear camera, 16MP front camera, 3080 mAH battery and the difference is that Redmi Y1 has been customised specially for Indians with specialized features like text for railway bookings and calendars that depicts all major Indian holidays. Xiaomi Redmi Y1 comes in two variants- 3GB RAM+ 32GB priced at Rs. 8,999 and 4GB RAM+ 64GB priced at Rs. 10,999 and will be available for purchase exclusively on Amazon.
- Large display
- Affordable pricing
- Ample storage space
- Excellent 16MP selfie camera with front flash
- Dedicated microSD card slot
- Non removable battery
- Low display resolution
- Lack of fast charging support
- Not waterproof
Truely Power Packed Performance
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 is powered by a 64 bit octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 MSM8940 Processor clocked at 1.4 GHz coupled with 3GB/4GB of RAM and Adreno 505 GPU so that the user can perform daily tasks as well as play power intensive games like Prime Peaks, Asphalt 8 etc with utmost ease and comfort though the games like Angry Birds 2, Temple Run 2 took little time to load and also had to face certain heating issues. The phone will deliver smooth and reliable performance and the user can effortlessly and seamlessly multitask between multiple applications and also play high-end and graphically intensive games without any lag or delay. In terms of storage, it comes with 32GB/64GB onboard storage memory which can be expanded upto 128GB via a dedicated microSD card slot. There were no visible lags or noticeable stutter while navigating between home screens and/or multitasking like opening multiple tabs on Chrome browser, streamed music and social media apps. The device boots on a Android Nougat 7.1.1 (Nougat) operating system customised with Xiaomi's latest skin wrapped under MIUI 8 out-of-the-box which will be upgraded to the latest MIUI 9. MIUI 9 interface is loaded with system level customizations and optimizations to get the best out of phone's battery life and performance along with new exciting features like a virtual assistant, the Energy saving mode which stops the applications running in the background on the low battery. Shop for the Redmi Y1 at Amazon India and get a powerful smartphone experience within your budget.
Display and sleek design
In a first impression, Redmi Y1 sports similar look as that of Redmi 4 but with a bigger display and Corning Gorilla glass on the top. It comes with plastic built design with antenna bands running at the top and bottom on the rear side though it gives a premium look and feel besides it having its plastic body. The entire back panel and sides along with the power and volume buttons are made out of plastic. It has 7.7mm thickness having dimensions of 153 x 76.2 x 7.7 mm with curved rounded edges which makes it easy to hold and carry anywhere. It weighs around 153 grams with a very light-form factor that makes its handling very easy. The device comes with 5.5-inch IPS LCD HD display with 1280x720p resolution and 267 ppi pixel density which provides accurate colour reproduction, sharp and vibrant images and amazing viewing experience to the user though having FHD or FHD+ resolution would have been much better. Also, if you don't like the standard display settings, you can change them to warm or cool according to your preference. The display is smooth to touch, durable and protected with Corning Gorilla Glass against any scratches or any kind of accidental physical damages and comes with non-backlit capacitive touch buttons below the screen for navigation. The display is also equipped with "Reading mode" which delivers great performance in dim light also. The bottom of the phone has the Micro-USB port for charging and grills on either side. The huge display is highly suitable for media consumption like watching videos, reading e-books, playing games etc. The middle frame is made up of aluminium frame which ensures better heat dissipation. The rear mounted fingerprint sensor is used to unlock the device and is extremely responsive. The 13-megapixel primary camera comes with single-LED flash which are placed in the top left corner while the fingerprint scanner is at the centre. On the top of the phone, there is a 3.5 mm headphone jack and a secondary mic for noise cancellation. It is available in two colour options- Gold and Dark grey. It supports dual SIM functionality and both the SIMs can be used for making calls while expanding the internal data storage also.
Xiaomi Redmi Y1 phone is a delight for selfie lovers as it features a 16MP front camera with f/2.0 aperture, 76.4-degree wide angle sensor and diffused selfie flash which can capture detailed selfie clicks having accurate colour reproduction and fine detailing and record videos upto 1080p resolution. For great portrait shots, there are smart and pro modes to smoothen it. There is 13MP primary camera with single-tone LED flash, f./2.2 aperture and additional features like PDAF (Phase detection autofocus), Face detection, Touch focus, Digital zoom, Video recording, geo-tagging, Phase detection and shooting modes like Continuos Shooting, High Dynamic Range mode (HDR) and Burst mode. The main highlight of this phone is its selfie camera which can shoot crisp, clear images under all types of light conditions- in day as well as night. They have real-time Beautify 3.0 software feature which ensures that the user is able to capture great selfie clicks. The phone has a camera app which comes with lot of Instgram-like filters which eases the editing process. You can also click photos using the fingerprint sensor.
Great battery backup and multiple connectivity options
This dual SIM device is powered by a high capacity 3080 mAH non-removable battery which delivers satisfactory performance and enables your phone to work continously for one full day on moderate usage so that you can easily play games, chat with friends, click selfies, listen to music and watch movies without running out of battery. With its power optimisations, it can deliver upto 11 hours of video playback, 16 hours of gaming and 35 hours of call time. However, the battery does not come with Quick charge support. Like most Xiaomi phones, it also features an InfraRed sensor that enables you to control IR-remote based home appliances with your phone hence making your life more easy and simple. Other features include 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, GLONASS and a micro USB port for charging and data transfer. It is a dual SIM (Nano SIM + Nano SIM) smartphone with both the slots being compatible with 4G and VoLTE but only one SIM can access a 4G network at a time. The various types of sensors supported on the phone include a compass magnetometer, proximity sensor, hall sensor, gyroscope, accelerometer and an ambient light sensor.
Key Specifications at a glance
- The phone is powered by a 1.4 GHz octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 MSM8940 Processor paired with 3GB/4GB RAM, 32GB/64GB internal storage memory and Adreno 505 graphics.
- It sports 5.5-inch HD display with 1280x720p resolution and 267 ppi pixel density.
- It features 13MP rear camera and 16MP front facing selfie camera.
- It runs on Android 7.2 Nougat operating system customised with latest MIUI 9 interface.
- The battery capacity is 3080 mAH which is sufficient for a day's uninterrupted usage.
- Both the SIMs support 4G and VoLTE network connectivity.
- Sensors on the phone include Compass Magnetometer, Proximity sensor, Accelerometer, Ambient light sensor and Gyroscope.
What are the drawbacks of buying this phone?
- Average rear camera : The company has primarily focussed on front camera. The primary camera is just ok and could have been better. The picture quality is greatly affected in low light.
- No full HD display : With 5.5 inch screen display, the display could have been atleast full HD.
- Plastic body : The phone comes with all-plastic body which is a let down as most of the phones these days have attractive metallic unibody design.
Why should we buy this phone?
- Front camera : The USP of this device is its 16MP front facing camera which can capture great selfies in indoor as well as outdoor shoots. Additionally, the Beauty feature can make your face look slim or make the skin look smooth.
- Processor : The powerful 1.4 GHz octa-core Snapdragon 425 processor paired with 4GB RAM delivers great performance and ensures smooth multitasking and you can use multiple apps at a time without any hiccups.
- Ample Storage Space : The smartphone is equipped with an internal storage capacity of 64GB which can be further expanded upto 128GB via dedicated microSD card slot. This ample storage capacity of the device enables the user to store lot of media, muic and documents.
Redmi Y1 vs Redmi Y1 Lite specifications and features
Unlike other budget phones, Redmi Y1 has an amazing 16MP front camera which is the main USP of the phone with f/2.0 aperture, 76.4-degree wide-angle lens and selfie LED flash. The front shooter comes with 36 pre-installed smart beautify profiles and the user can use the beautification feature in real time while doing video calls. On the contrary, Redmi Y1 Lite sports 5MP camera without the front LED flash or the wide-angle lens. The software features like facial recognition, real-time beautification and selfie countdown are present in both the models. Both the devices feature a 13-megapixel rear camera sensor with f/2.2 aperture and phase-detection autofocus, and real-time filters and also sport similar design and look with very minor difference like Lite variant weighs 150 grams and has 7.55mm thickness, while the Redmi Y1 weighs 150 grams and is 7.7mm thick. As for display panel, they feature 5.5-inch HD (1280x720p) display with curved edges around the corners and smooth metallic cover on the rear panel. In terms of specifications and features, Redmi Y1 scores over Redmi Y1 Lite. Unlike Redmi Y1 Lite, Redmi Y1 flaunts 16MP front shooter with dedicated LED flash, fingerprint scanner on the rear panel and its front display is protected by 2.5D curved glass. On the other hand, Y1 Lite sports a less superior 5MP camera and lacks LED flash support, fingerprint sensor and 2.5D glass protection. Redmi Y1 is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 octa-core chipset with 3GB/4GB RAM and 32GB/64GB storage variants. Whereas Redmi Y1 Lite is packed with less superior configuration which is quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 chipset backed by 2GB RAM and 16GB storage. Redmi Y1 series also comes with a dedicated microSD slot for 128GB internal storage along with two Nano-SIM slots unlike other Xiaomi phones which come with hybrid SIM slot. Both of them will run the MIUI 9 beta build based on Android Nougat operating system. Both the Redmi Y1 and the Y1 Lite come with non-removable 3,080mAh battery.
Final Verdict :
If you are looking to buy a feature-rich, power efficient device which provides excellent value for money in below 10K price range, then Xiaomi Redmi Y1 is a great choice. The sleek design along with Snapdragon 435 processor offers ultimate experience to the smartphone user. The biggest competitor to Redmi Y1 is Xiaomi Redmi 4. Both the phones are similarly priced and have similar hardware configuration except that Redmi 4 has smaller 5-inch display, bigger 4100 mAH battery and metal body. Buy your selected model online by checking the best offers available.
About Xiaomi brand
Xiaomi is a privately owned company based in China which designs, develops and sells smartphones, an Android-based OS and other consumer electronics. Xiaomi also makes fitness trackers, TVs, air purifiers, and tablets. It has a skin for its Android phones and tablets – MIUI. The company largely sells its phones at reputed online portals via flash sales in India.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)Does it support dual SIM and a memory card simultaneously?
Ans : Yes, it supports two Nano SIMs and a memory card simultaneously.Does it support Jio SIM?
Ans : Yes, it supports Jio SIM.Is this phone waterproof?
Ans : No, the phone is not resistant to water.Does it support OTG?
Ans : Yes, it supports OTG.Does it support VoLTE?
Ans : Both its SIMs are compatible with 4G VoLTE connectivity but only one SIM can use 4G network at a time.Does this phone have a dedicated memory card slot?
Ans : The phone comes with 32GB/64GB onboard storage which can be expanded upto 128GB via a dedicated memory card slot.Is the phone prone to scratches?
Ans : No, the phone is protected by Gorilla glass against scratches or any kind of minor accidental physical damages.Does the rear camera of the phone support flashlight?
Ans : Yes, the primary camera comes with single tone LED flash.Does it have metallic body ?
Ans : No, the phone has all plastic body with metallic cover at the back.Where is the fingerprint sensor positioned in the phone?
Ans : The fingerprint reader is placed at the rear panel in the center of the device.How does MIUI 9 differ from its previous MIUI 8 interface ?
Ans : The advanced and most recent MIUI 9 user interface comes with new features like a virtual assistant, the Energy saving mode which optimises the battery life and performance of the device making it more efficient.How is the battery backup of Redmi Y1?
Ans : The phone comes with non-removable 3080 mAH battery to offer continous working for a day.Which is better Redmi Y1 or Redmi 4A of same price?
Ans : Redmi Y1 is better as it sports bigger 5.5-inch screen size and more advanced Android 7.0 operating system.Does it have USB OTG support?
Ans : Yes, this phone is equipped with USB OTG feature for easy and fast data transfer.What are the contents of the box?
Ans : Besides the handset, the box also contains other items like battery, charger, micro USB cable, 10W USB adapter, headsets, SIM ejector tool, protective case and manual guide.
Price Chart for Redmi Y1
We have analysed price data for Redmi Y1 for a period of 90 days. The price chart shows following things:
- The lowest price has been ₹ 8999.
- The highest price recorded is ₹ 9995.
- The average price is ₹ 9010.
Our Recommendation for buying Redmi Y1
There is considerable variation in the best price of Redmi Y1 over the recorded period maximum being during last 15 days. There is a general increase for the best price over the time. Since Redmi Y1 is at its best price right now, our recommendation will be to buy it at best price in India of ₹ 8999.
Alternatives to Redmi Y1
- Huawei Honor 7A₹8,999
- Android 8.0 (oreo)
- 3 Gb,2 Gb Ram
- 5.7 Inches, 83.8 Cm2 (~75.4% Screen-to-body Ratio)
- 13 Mp, F/2.2, Pdaf; ; 2 Mp, Depth Sensor Rear Camera
- Micromax Selfie 2 Note₹8,400
- Android 7.0 (nougat)
- 3 Gb Ram
- 5.5 Inches, 83.4 Cm2 Screen
- 13 Mp, F/2.0, Autofocus, Led Flash Rear Camera
- Moto E4 Plus₹8,399
- Android 7.1.1 (nougat)
- 3 Gb Ram
- 5.5 Inches (~74.4% Screen-to-body Ratio)
- 13 Mp, Autofocus, Led Flash Rear Camera
- Oppo Neo 7₹8,199
- Android Os, V5.1 (lollipop)
- 1 Gb Ram
- 5.0 Inches (~67.4% Screen-to-body Ratio)
- 8 Mp, 3264 X 2448 Pixels, Autofocus, Led Flash Rear Camera
- Infinix Note 4₹8,999
- Android, 7.0 Nougat
- 2GB RAM
- 5.7 Inch Screen
- 13MP Rear Camera
- Lenovo Vibe K5₹8,100
- Android Os, V5.1 (lollipop)
- 2 Gb Ram
- 5.0 Inches (~68.4% Screen-to-body Ratio)
- 13 Mp, Autofocus, Led Flash Rear Camera
- Moto G4 Play₹8,174
- V6.0.1 (marshmallow), Android Os
- 2 Gb Ram
- 5.0 Inches (~66.3% Screen-to-body Ratio)
- Autofocus, Led Flash, 8 Mp, F/2.2 Rear Camera
- Coolpad Note 6₹9,290
- Android 7.1 (nougat)
- 4 Gb,3 Gb Ram
- 5.5 Inches, 83.4 Cm2 (~71.0% Screen-to-body Ratio)
- 13 Mp (2.2), Autofocus, Led Flash Rear Camera
- Mi 4₹8,499
- Android KitKat 4.4.4
- 3 GB Ram
- 5 Inch Screen
- 13 Megapixel Rear Camera
- Redmi Note 4₹8,999
- Android Marshmallow 6.0.1
- 4 GB Ram
- 5.5 Inch Screen
- 13 Megapixel Rear Camera